Barrel Hopper is a side scrolling game made entirely from Blueprints in Unreal Engine 4. Players must reach the seventh level by running up the ramps and jumping over exploding barrels. If a player hits a barrel, the avatar will fall over and respawn at the closest checkpoint.
The game was made in the summer of my placement year as an introduction to Unreal Engine 4 in preparation for my final year. Concepts learnt included:
- Designing a level using the engine’s built in tools
- The hierarchy of Unreal’s objects
- Creating blueprints as well as using blueprint variables and functions; casting to other classes and manipulating objects
- Creating spawning systems and triggers
- Implementing character animations; HUDs and menus; audio; physics and collisions